Many prophets saw the first coming of our Savior. Some saw his whole story, like Isaiah and others just pieces. Here are some of the things they prophesied:
- Jesus’ lineage – righteous branch from King David
- Born of a virgin mother named Mary
- His name would be Immanuel/ Jesus
- Where he would be born
- Where he would grow up
- Who would celebrate
- Where the star would arise
- The financial status of Mary and Joseph
- The witnesses of his birth including some animals
- What gifts would be brought to him
- Hosea 11:1 – A governing Rod would arise from Jesse, the father of King David and ancestor of Jesus
- Jeremiah 23:15 – from David would come a righteous Branch, a King who would reign and prosper.
Isaiah 7:14,9:6 (1 Nephi 11:18-21; Alma 7:9-10) – A virgin shall conceive and the Child will be called the Prince of Peace (Fulfilled: Matthew 1:18-23; Luke 1:26-31; Luke 2:4-7)
Micah 5:2 – out of little Bethlehem would come forth one who would be the ruler of Israel. (Full filled: Matthew 2:4-6)
Numbers 24:17 – a Star would arise in Jacob.
Helaman 14:1-6 Samuel the Lamanite prophesies of the signs at Jesus’ birth. (Full filled: Matthew 2:2 A new star appears; 3 Nephi 1:4-21 no darkness in America and new star rose)
Genesis 49:10 – Jacob prophesied that Shilo (“he to whom it [Throne of David] belongs”), the lawgiver bearing the scepter (sign of kingship) would be a descendant of Judah.
Job 38:7 – Job prophesied that all the morning stars would sing and all the sons of God would shout for Joy at the ‘laying of the Cornerstone’ and at the birth of the earth.